More and more families are finding that they encountering arguments about how much screen time is acceptable. The daily arguments place a lot of stress on parents wanting their children to be healthy and active as well as meeting their responsibilities such as studying, keeping their room clean and assigned chores.
It is possible to reduce and eliminate the screen time arguments, with planning a couple of family meetings, persistence and the use of a smart tool like Pixel Pounds.
Try the following steps to reducing screen time arguments:
1. Hold a family meeting about screen time, establish why it is becoming a problem and why you want to change it. You want to establish buy in and understanding from all family members.
2. Implement a fair set of rules, we recommend the following rules be applied to all family members
a. No screens at meal time
b. 5 minute warning before screens are to be turned off
c. No screens during homework time
d. No screens 1 hour before bed
e. No screens in the bathroom
f. 1 hour maximum of continuous screen use
3. Lead by example, children are very perceptive and will mimic the behaviour of the head of the family, they will also be quick to point out hypocrisy as well as what they perceive to be unfairly applied rules
4. Provide and have ready outlets for your children’s energy, you need to have screen time alternatives available, once they know how and where to drive their attention the desire to spend time in front of the screen will diminish.
5. Use Pixel Pounds as a means to monitor, control and incentivise your children to limit children’s screen time usage.